Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts HERE!
Poet & Artist, Wajid Hussain invites you to take part in a creative writing day and explore the different perspectives of al-Mutanabbi Street.
Content: The morning will be spent discussing and trying out ideas. Complete beginners and those with some experience are welcome. Bring some lunch to share and in the afternoon, Theresa Easton will help make the prose, poetry & writing into a poetry zine. Each participant will have the chance to share their work and take home their own poetry zine.
Book your place: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/poetry-zine-workshop-free-tickets-5222572856
The Northern Charter 5th Floor Commercial Union House 39 Pilgrim Street Newcastle, NE1 6QE
12th March 10-4pm
Background: Theresa Easton has contributed to the al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here movement from its inception in 2007, making broadsides in response to the car bomb that exploded on al-Mutanabbi Street in Baghdad on March 5th 2007. Al-Mutanabbi Street is in a mixed Shia-Sunni area. More than 30 people were killed and more than 100 were wounded. Al-Mutanabbi Street, the historic centre of Baghdad bookselling, holds bookstores and outdoor bookstalls, cafes, stationery shops, and even tea and tobacco shops. It has been the heart and soul of the Baghdad literary and intellectual community. Every year, around March 5th readings take place around the world, in Australia, Canada, Egypt, UK and USA.
What else is happening?
Catherine Cartwright, UK Coordinator for Absence and Presence (the printmaking project of al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here) and an interview Melanie Monsour’s composition, Words In The Wind, is played with stunning effect, you can listen HERE. Catherine also reads Dima Hilal’s poem from the anthology, al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here: Poets & Writers Respond to the March 5, 2007, Bombing of Baghdad’s “Street of the Booksellers”.
22 READINGS FOR AL-MUTANABBI STREET – 2016
1. In Washington D.C. on March 5th in conjunction with our exhibit there and our partnership with George Mason University and Split This Rock
2. In Portland, Oregon on March 5th in conjunction with our exhibit there.
3. In Boise, Idaho, in conjunction with our exhibit there and in partnership with students and faculty from Boise State University.
4. In Bristol, U.K. on March 5th at the Kitchen Sink Studio
5. In London, UK. On 5th March at the London & South Region of The Society of Bookbinders, a reading in conjunction with Sarah Bodman’s talk and show of work from An Inventory of Al-Mutanabbi Street.
6. In San Francisco on March 6th at the well known literary bar Specs in North Beach, with the reading starting at 6:30pm.
7. In Cairo, Egypt, at The American University in Cairo
8. In Venice, Italy, on March 4th at The Scuola Internazionale di Grafica di Venezia
9. In Berkeley, California, at Moe’s Bookstore on March 5th